Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Mommy Story #5

This post is for those of you who like reading the "birthing story". If you don't, then don't read. I didn't think it would be to graphic, but maybe it is? Actually, I can't remember much but I do remember this was probably the most fun & silly birth most of us in the room have ever experienced.

First of all I had a walking epidural. Yes "walking"! It was awesome!!! and for those of you that deliver at the same local hospital I do, there's a new guy in town (anesthesiologist). He was great. I was able to walk to the bathroom with little or no help whenever I needed.

I remember feeling like it was taking FOREVER!!, but really...I started the 'pit' just before 2. Dr. F phoned to say he would be up in 20 min. to break my water around 3. We had Josh on the way, and were placing bets to see who would make it there first. Elaine, Josh, and Dr. all walked in the room together. Dr. F broke my water around 4:15ish. There was LOADS of it. Seriously! Anyway, I was expecting everything to happen within 20 minutes like it has before, but it didn't. I don't think I had enough contractions at that point to have things progress that rapidly.

We had been making jokes all day, cuz that is what we do you know. ;) and when Dr. F came in and asked me if another Dr. could 'catch the baby', it took me a few minutes to realize he was serious. Well when it finally came time that Dr. F said we could start pushing, I was so relieved. We had watched them set up and they had this big plastic garbage bag that catches everything else, but the way Dr. N was holding the bag, it looked like he was planning to catch the baby in the plastic garbage bag. We joked about it for a little bit. They really have all this new stuff since I had my last baby 20 months ago. Then on the second pushing try Dr. N was standing about two feet away and I was pushing and I said, "well aren't you gonna catch." It was pretty funny. I am not sure what was said during the next push, I only remember laughing so hard I was crying (really). Everyone in the room was laughing (except maybe Josh and Dr. F). We called that a no go for pushing. I remember Dr. N saying that the baby was moving down a teeny bit. SERIOUSLY!!! I was not about to push for two hours! The nurse asked if I would be willing to try something new (of course I was). She laid me back a little and had my grab my knees. One push later the head was out. Then instead of having me to one more big push, Dr. N had me push very slowly to help from tearing and stuff. I really liked it better. A couple of things to remember in the future: Laying in that position totally moves the pubic bone out of the way and makes things way easier for the baby and mommy, and it's totally ok to push slowly.

Dr. N said there were big shoulders and Josh said, "that means it's a boy". With the exception of me, everyone else in the room had already made up their minds it was a girl. That is the only time I can recall Josh there. I know he was standing by me the whole time, but he must have been in a lot of pain. Well Josh did get to cut the cord too.

I wish I could remember all the jokes and wise cracks. They have always made delivery way more fun, but this time was exceptionally fun. Of course all the jokes stopped immediately when "the baby girl" was out. She was every one's focus and priority.

1 comments:

Wendy Jensen said...

You are simply delightful JoDee. I sure love you!!