Friday, March 6, 2009

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!

Happy Anniversary Josh and JoDee!!!!!

J & J Celebrate 10 years in Baltimore and DC. (Courtesy of ACCC) Yesterday's photo of J&J at the Inner Harbor of Baltimore.

So I could have written all the things I love about Josh, but I didn't. Instead I wrote about marriage and advice. Please skip to the photos if you aren't interested. Before vacation I wrote each of my children a letter (in case we didn't come home.) So today I was partly writing to them.

I absolutely love being married to Josh. Everyday is wonderful. We have grown together so much over the past decade. It's amazing how much more you can love each other every year. It seems like our biggest obstacle of year one (and maybe two) was selfishness or only child syndrome. When you are dating you put each other first, then slowing when someone is invading your spaces your guard it put down and you become set in your habits. We learned new habits. We learned to see there are two sets of clothes on the floor to pick up (not just one), and maybe since I'm up could I get you something too?.

It seems in today's society Divorce is all together too common!! Being from homes of divorce (which in some cases is necessary) Josh and I came into our marriage with a commitment to each other, but mostly to ourselves, that we would never get a divorce. I remember discussing this many times with Josh and the very clear moment for me was in the car at the stop light in Ephraim. Josh said to me, "I don't ever want to get a divorce." We weren't married yet and he could have been talking about anyone, but Josh is strong willed and when his mind is made up, things are easy for him. "Faith without works is dead." As is any form of thoughts to do. Which is why we work on our marriage. We read together about strengthening and becoming closer. I love to read about things that can help our relationship, sometimes it seem like anything I can get my hands on. Josh listens intently when I read to him things I like. He enjoyed the movie "Fireproof" (which I thought he wouldn't). You know when it's someone you love and want to be with, it doesn't actually feel like work, it feels like love.

Our marriage is a 3 part marriage and we take that seriously. We are stronger together because of our faith in Jesus Christ. Because of our shared values and love for our Savior. When we are spiritually strengthened and are in tune to share those spiritual moments we become closer together. Our spirits are bound more tightly.

Here is some Advice we have taken to heart and used.
  • Always Kiss Goodnight. (we heard it at our wedding, and haven't stopped hearing it since. We even have a sign above our bed with this phrase. I will admit early on, there were nights when the smallest action of a kiss can have such a large meaning, and the lack of a kiss had large consequences. Thankfully I received advise for these situations too.)
  • "Heavenly Father, I loved her once please help me to love her again." I don't remember where I heard this, but someone gave a talk and I have never forgotten this phrase. I have used it in my plea to Heavenly Father and it works. My heart was softened and I was able to love again. It doesn't seem like I could ever not love my husband, nor can I remember any more than the phrase, but Satan is real! He destroys families starting with marriages. He is the father of contention and to overcome his power, we must include Heavenly Father.
There is so much advice and every marriage needs different things to help them work. This is what has helped me.

Our Heavenly Father is a big part of our family. He has given us so very much. 10 year anniversary is a diamond celebration and although we have no actually diamonds in our home (not even a ring), our family is made up of the most precious jewels. Thank you so my dear Father in Heaven.


J&J Celebrate 5 years in Hawaii. (Courtesy of ZB)


One Cool Dad!


One Happy Family

We support each others teams. Even when they aren't having a good season(s) (Raiders)




Just an old Ma & Pa now. Trekin' around Martin's Cove. '08

These are photos I have on my computer. Many of the 5 yearish ones are on CD's at home. Before 5 years predates the digital photos and I have a lot less of those.

LOVE YOU!!! Happy Days to come for you.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats!!! And Great Advice!

Claigh and Wendy Jensen said...

Marriage and family really is worth every good thing you can give it. I am so grateful for your commitment to one another and your children. Challenges and happy times ahead for you I am sure! Love, Aunt Wendy

Rheanna Bristol said...

You put it wonderfully! I am so glad we have the strength of the gospel to pull us together through the 'hard times'. It really renews love.
Congrats on a ten year achievement and we all toast to you!
***CLINK***!