Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Nellie's Surgery

Here is a quick update. Most of you already know. Nellie had back surgery. Basically they placed a rod, moved her spine over to the rod and fused the spine to the rod. The surgery went perfectly. As far as I know they had planned for a lot of extra time, but they seemed to get it done quickly to me. She did not have any epidurals, the Dr. doing the surgery does not like them in the back. But she is on medication to keep her muscles very loose. Anyway, she did have quite a few IV lines going from lots of places (like her neck). She spent 24 hours in ICU, to monitor her. She is now in a room. You can call cell phones or the room directly. Many of the tubes have been removed now. She has slept a lot, and she has been asking to roll over from side to side. She does need to keep pretty straight while her back heals. I talked to my mom a few hours ago and the therapist was coming in to get Nellie to sit up. I think Nellie was quite nervous and not really excited. My mom is counting her smiles today. Although they aren't very big she has had 3!! Mom is going to count until she can't anymore. I don't know what else you want to know, so just ask questions. :)

After having the surgery re-scheduled a few times, and a small battle with fluid on the lungs (where Drs. could not remove the fluid because of Nellie's back), we are thankful to finally have the surgery complete and are praying for a healthy recovery. It seems like the extra time has gotten everyone, (Nellie, Mom, Dad) a little more prepared and ready. Nellie's relationship with her Father in Heaven is one that I am sure there are many more angels helping her at this time. I think she has an "in". :)

LOVE YOU NELLIE!!! **hugs & kisses** **SMILES and GIGGLES**

2 comments:

Rheanna Bristol said...

I returned Cindy's call after surgery when she called to let us all know all is well. She did not answer (understandably)so I left a message. Let them all know that we love them and are praying for them and look forward to the next game of cards that Nellie is sure to kick our butt at!
I know that my mom is coming up on friday-saturdayish. Maybe she could get brayden? I know its a little out of the way, but it might work.
We love you all! Hang in there Nellie! Hold to the Rod!! (Okay! Bad joke! I am sorry!)

Claigh and Wendy Jensen said...

I am grateful the surgery went well. I hope recovery is quick and Nellie will have a sense of peace about it all. That's what I am praying for. Anxiety can make it all so much more difficult. It tugs at my heart to see the struggles some dear souls endure.